Sunday, May 31, 2015

New Kitchen, Part 1

It’s the day before my kitchen is scheduled to be demolished and I’m getting a little panicky. We have been planning this for a few months and tomorrow is the day.  We are doing a complete, down to the studs, tear everything out, rip everything up, put all new stuff back in, kitchen renovation. Actually, truth be told, maybe more than a little panicky. Well maybe, ever so slightly, freaked out. 




You may sigh and dismiss my first world problems and that’s okay.  I don’t expect your sympathy.  “Your kitchen was fine!”  Sure if doors falling off their hinges, drawers imploding into the dark netherworld of the cabinet, and a leaky refrigerator is fine.  It wasn’t. “In some parts of the world people don’t even have kitchens!”  Fortunately for me, I live in the part of the world that does, and in my neck of the woods, my kitchen has to work. 

However to go from old crappy kitchen to new awesome kitchen is going to take time, lots of time, lots of turmoil.  My kitchen has been stripped, boxed up and stored away. The only workable appliance is my trusty coffee maker.  My kitchen table is in the foyer. Our designer, who by the way has a wicked sense of humor, gave us a renovation gift; a wastepaper basket filled with paper plates, cups, plastic spoons and sanitation wipes.  My carefully crafted and adhered to diet is now going to be,

Monday-Moe’s
Tuesday- Thai
Wednesday- Indian
Thursday- Panera’s
Friday- Japanese
Saturday- Nardelli’s
Sunday- purge and repeat

Or some variation of that.  On the bright side I can go for longer bike rides during the week since I no longer have to cook dinner.  Thereby, at least in my way of thinking, using the aerobic benefits of biking to cancel out the corrosive effect of so much restaurant food.  And coming home exhausted from a nice long bike ride should also have a palliative effect when I see that the electrician hasn’t shown up, or the cabinet was incorrectly ordered or the refrigerator came with a dent. 

Anyway life is a journey and hopefully the outcome will be worth it.  In the meantime, “ARE WE THERE YET?”





No comments:

Post a Comment