Friday, July 18, 2014

The Hurricane; A Classic Summer Cocktail




There is nothing like a refreshing cocktail after a long day of... well I'm on summer vacation so it's a long day of play.  I washed and waxed the Mustang, ran four miles at the gym so I think I deserve a little bit of relaxation.  The Hurricane cocktail has its origins in New Orleans.  It is generally accepted that it was first created at Pat O'Brien's.   The name of the drink comes from the hurricane glass it was served in.   Here is the recipe that I used.


Hurricane Cocktail 

2 ounces of dark rum
2 ounces of light rum 
2 ounces of passion fruit juice
1 ounce of orange juice
1/2 ounce lime juice
1 tablespoon of simple syrup
1 tablespoon of grenadine
garnish with orange slice and cherry

For my dark rum I chose one of my favorite rums; Ron Botran.   Ron Botran is distilled in Guatemala.  It is a blend of rums that are aged anywhere from five to fourteen years.  Also, it is not made from molasses as most rums are, but from from sugar cane juice.   The light rum is Rhum Neisson from Martinique.  I had to special order this rum from Amity Wine and Spirits in New Haven because it is not readily found in in my area package stores.  The Niesson distillery has been producing rums since 1931.  Rhum Niesson is another rum that is not distilled from molasses.  It is a rhum agricole in that it is produced from sugar cane juice.  Also, this rum weighs in at one hundred proof; not for the faint of heart.  The rest of the ingredients are obviously available at any grocery store.  Pour all of the ingredients into a steel shaker filled with ice, pop the glass on, shake until blended and strain into a hurricane glass filled with ice.  Garnish with an orange slice and a cherry, sit back, sip, have another sip, have another sip, enjoy and blog.  






No comments:

Post a Comment