Monday, February 11, 2013

Help! I'm A Prisoner of Nemo/Charlotte! Or Is It Charlotte/Nemo?




One of the perks about being a teacher is when the weather gets iffy, especially when it involves snow; you can always depend on a mini-vacation. Delayed openings are always welcome because it gives me a chance to finish the paper, check out my Facebook feed and have yet another cup of coffee.    The early dismissal, while welcome, usually involves driving home in crappy weather.  Not too terrific, but better than nothing. The favorite of this guy is the cancellation.    Don’t get me wrong, I love what I do, but I occasionally need a day off.  Ever since I was a kid I would get up at five in the morning and turn on the radio while simultaneously doing my snow dance.  It worked most of the time!  Now that I’m grown up, I don’t do my snow dance, at least not in public and it usually is more of a boogie or a hop. 

Teachers who are experts in math, writing, reading, science and social studies are positively PhD’s when it involves weather.  I mean a butterfly flaps its wings in Bolivia and already we a calculating the odds of having school next Wednesday.   Debating the odds of delayed opening versus a cancelation puts Vegas bookies to shame. 

When the weather people on TV were predicting the snowfall for Storm Nemo/Charlotte or Charlotte/Nemo we were positively ecstatic.   “Just heard 6 to 12 inches!”  “Well I saw 12 to 18!” And so on.  Well, the storm came and dumped record amounts on us.  School was cancelled on Friday and Monday.  So much snow came down that towns couldn’t clear it fast enough and had no place to put it. 

The downside of days off due to weather is the “be careful of what you wish for” syndrome.  Yeah it’s great to have a day off but we have to make it up in the summer.  So now I have two feet of snow on the ground with freezing rain adding to the mix.  The newscaster is talking about another snow event for the weekend and I haven’t left my house in four days.  I think I need a vacation.


No comments:

Post a Comment