Sunday, January 22, 2012

Cheddar Cheese Chicken Tenders with Wilted Spinach


I decided I couldn’t wait for the Superbowl to make the Cheddar Cheese Chicken Tenders with Wilted Spinach.  I figured that watching the Ravens hopefully beat the Patriots would be a good enough excuse to try them out.  I also decided that I wasn’t going to make the wilted spinach.  After all, I am watching football, not the Biggest Loser. 

The recipe is simple enough to follow, so I’m not going to go into great detail.  I did make two changes though.  The first change was that I used a chicken breast instead of chicken tenders.  I didn’t feel like making a special trip to the grocery store, so I defrosted a chicken breast and thinly sliced it lengthwise.  The other change was that I brined the chicken for about an hour.  Brining makes the chicken more tender and flavorful.  In a large bowl, dissolve ¾ of a cup of Kosher salt into a gallon of water.  Place the chicken into the water, and place the bowl into the refrigerator for about an hour.  Some people add other things to the brine such as sugar, garlic, onions etc.   Feel free to experiment.  Brining really makes a difference when you cook chicken.  You won't believe the difference in flavor.


I assembled the troops, dipped the chicken into the bowl of mustard, coated the chicken with the crumbled crackers, arranged them on a greased half sheet pan, and popped them into the oven for about fifteen minutes.  I turned them after eight minutes to so they would brown evenly. 

When the timer went off, I poured out some ranch dressing, and sat down to watch the game.  They are delicious.  Hot out of the oven, dipped into cool ranch dressing.  Yum!  Very little prep time, easy to make; a perfect Sunday afternoon football snack.  Enjoy.










No comments:

Post a Comment